Salary : $41,184.00 – $50,107.20 Annually
Location : Carlsbad, CA
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 2465-2023
Department: Parks & Recreation
Opening Date: 05/19/2023
Closing Date: 6/11/2023 11:00 PM Pacific
Max Number of Applicants: 10
This announcement will remain open until ten applications are received or until Friday, June 11 at 11:00 p.m., whichever occurs first, after which time the job announcement will be expired.
Under general supervision, the Recreation Assistant will provide full-time senior instructor/lifeguard services and monitor swimming pool activities; provide aquatic instruction; enforce guest compliance with pool rules, regulations, and policies; train and provide work direction to part-time pool lifeguards; perform other related work as assigned.
Only qualified applicants will be called in for an “in-water skills test” and upon successful completion, continue with an oral interview the same day.
The in-water skills test includes:
- 5-minute treading water while holding a 10lb brick
- 100-meter swim (1:40 minutes or less)
- Passive submerged victim rescue (14ft depth) with removal
- Adult CPR
- Swim 25 yards, retrieve a 10lb brick, swim 25 yards, and exit the pool
Carlsbad – The Community:
This nearly 40 square mile city is ideally situated in north San Diego County with an approximate population of ~115,000. It offers a great climate, beautiful beaches, lagoons, and abundant natural open space. World-class resorts, family attractions, well-planned neighborhoods, a diverse business sector, and a charming village atmosphere combine to create the ideal California experience.
The City of Carlsbad embraces diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and recognizes the vital relationship of a culturally diverse, engaged work environment and innovative excellence. A diverse, equitable and inclusive work climate comprises personal experiences, values, and views shaped from differences of culture and circumstance. Our organization appreciates belonging, creativity, recognition and retention of its employees and is committed to hiring and developing motivated, productive and talented employees who provide services and enhance our quality of life. We work to embrace open and equitable access to opportunities for learning and development as our responsibility and goal.
We encourage you to fill out a to be notified of new positions in your area of interest as soon as they post.
- Assist in planning, coordinating, and monitoring the operations and activities of the aquatic facilities and programs; and ensure the safety of swimmers
- Provide lifeguard services and monitor swimming pool activities to maintain a safe, healthy, and controlled environment for guests
- Administer artificial respiration or first aid when necessary; rescue persons in distress; administer cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) or first aid when necessary; rescue persons in distress; observe pool activities in accordance with established guidelines, policies and procedures
- Inspect swimming pools to assure safe and proper operating condition; perform chemical tests on pool water; apply chemicals as appropriate to maintain proper chemistry levels; dose chemicals according to established specifications and safety requirements
- Enforce and assure guest compliance with pool use and other applicable rules, regulations, and policies; report incidents and guest behavior problems to appropriate authority
- Train and provide work direction and guidance to assigned personnel; assist with interviewing, selecting and scheduling employees; provide input concerning transfers, reassignments, terminations and disciplinary action
- Assist in preparing swimming pools and surrounding areas for aquatic activities
- Assist in planning, organizing and implementing programs and activities
- Assist in classes, activities, events as assigned
- Attend and participate in staff meetings related to assigned program activities
- Assist in resolving citizen, client disputes regarding program activities
- Perform other related duties as assigned
To perform a job in this classification, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties as generally described in the specification. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties in a specific job. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Philosophy, principles and practices of aquatic recreation programs.
- First aid, cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and water rescue and lifeguarding methods, practices and techniques.
- Health and safety codes, standards and policy related to pool operations.
- Procedures of pool use and basic pool equipment operation and maintenance.
- City of Carlsbad policies, rules related to recreational programs, lifeguarding and general administrative practices and procedures.
- Basic instruction and coaching techniques.
- Basic supervisory practices.
- Swim with proficiency and endurance and perform necessary water rescue activities.
- Perform first aid and CPR as necessary.
- Analyze situations and adapt quick and effective courses of action.
- Organize, supervise, coordinate, implement, and evaluate aquatic recreational programs.
- Provide necessary administrative support in record keeping and reporting as assignment requires.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience & Education
Any combination equivalent to the experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would qualify. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- High school diploma or G.E.D
- 3+ years experience, with increasing responsibility in the aquatic field
- Experience in instructing all levels of the American Red Cross Learn to Swim and water safety program
- Experience in supervising a staff of five or more lifeguards or aquatic staff is desirable
- Lifeguard Instructor (LGI) certified, with experience teaching Lifeguard courses is desirable
Possession of a valid Class C California Driver’s License and verification of insurability.
Special Requirements/License or Certificate:
- American Red Cross or YMCA of USA Lifeguard/First Aid
- CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- First Aid for Public Safety Personnel (Title 22)
- Oxygen Administration
- Water Safety Instructor
- Ability to be certified as a Lifeguard Instructor (LGI) within six (6) months of hire
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
The pool is an outdoor facility exposed to all types of weather conditions. The hours of pool operation vary with the seasons, but typically the shifts at the aquatic facilities start as early as 5:00 am and ending as late as 10:00 pm on weekdays, and starting as early as 7:00 am and ending as late as 9:00 pm on weekends on a year-round basis.
Incumbents frequently are required to physically exert themselves during the course of rescue, instruction or other required activities, and are involved in lifting and moving moderately heavy pool equipment, or materials during the course of duties assigned. Incumbents must attend off-site meetings from time to time and be available to travel to other aquatic facilities in the course of work.
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Retirement under the CalPERS program, 2% @ 62 formula, Classic Members (those who are enrolled in CalPERS at another local agency) have the 2% @ 60 formula
- Pension contribution limitations set by PEPRA are currently $151,549 for new members or $280,000 for classic members
- Bilingual Pay
- Holidays – 11 scheduled
- Floating Holiday- 2
- Paid vacation
- Computer purchase loan
- Tuition reimbursement
A detailed list of our benefits can be found here:
Additional CalPERS information can be found here:
Initial in the box below that you acknowledge “see application” and “see resume” are not valid responses to the questions below.
Are you willing and able to meet the special conditions and skill requirements of the position? If yes, type your initials in the space below. If no, type N/A in the space below.I understand that the skills test for this position may require severe physical exertion. In consideration of my being permitted to take the physical skills test for this Aquatic position, I hereby waive and release all actions, damages, and demands of any nature whatsoever for any injury to my person or property which I might have against the City of Carlsbad or any employee or agent thereof occasioned as the result of said examination.
Which of the following certifications do you possess?
- Lifeguard Training
- Title 22 First Aid
- Water Safety Instructor
- Lifeguard Training Instructor (LGI)
- None of the above
Any certificate(s) you claim to have from the previous question MUST be attached to your application. Failure to attach the required documentation will result in an incomplete application and may disqualify you from the recruitment process.Type your initials in the space below indicating your acknowledgement:
How many years of experience do you have as a lifeguard?
- Less than 1 year
- 1 year but less than 2
- 2 years but less than 3
- 3 years or more
Are you able to work a flexible schedule sometimes including evenings, weekends, and holidays?
Please let us know about your work availability. Select all that apply:
- Monday – Friday, 5:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Monday – Friday 3:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- Weekends – 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Are you currently a City of Carlsbad employee?
I have attached (at a minimum) the following current certificates to my application:-CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer (CPR-FPR)-Lifeguard Training-Water Safety Instructor
- Yes, I have attached my certificates