Salary: $15.00 Hourly
Location : High Point, NC 27265
Job Type: Part-time No Benefits
Job Number: 5496
Department: Parks & Recreation Parks
Opening Date: 05/08/2023
Closing Date: Continuous
The golf course Park Attendant position will assist in the duties and tasks associated with the normal operation of a municipal golf course. Operation of golf course equipment will be necessary upon completion of training. This will primarily include utility vehicles, hand tools, sand pro vehicle, weed eaters, backpack blowers, push mowers, and greens mower triplex operation. Knowledge of the game of golf and previous landscape equipment operation will be an asset for this position. Work schedule may include nights, weekends and holidays.
Work is performed under the immediate supervision of the Assistant Golf Superintendent and Crew Supervisor. Free golf at both of the City’s golf courses is a benefit of this position.
- Performs basic golf course maintenance and repair work on grounds, facilities, and equipment including litter pick-up, lifting and emptying trash and garbage cans;
- Performs regular maintenance of grounds, including preparation of and addition to grounds, involving mowing, raking, weed eating, trimming, digging, planting of trees and shrubs, etc.;
- Performs regular janitorial/custodial tasks at both golf course facilities, including but not limited to: emptying trash, cleaning bathrooms, vacuuming common areas, sweeping, mopping, etc.
- Uses chemicals, including herbicides and pesticides, under direction of supervisor;
- Prunes and mulches trees and shrubs; cuts down and removes dead trees; weeds flower beds; hand grades, seeds, fertilizes and sods turf areas;
- Washes and cleans vehicles used to transport employees, equipment and tools;
- Assists with driving range operations, as needed;
- Ensures that all work is performed in accordance with OSHA and City Safety Standards and Policies.
- NC Driver’s License
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, to include weekends and holidays.
- Knowledge of the game of golf
- Previous landscape equipment operation
Hearing/Speaking – Expressing and/or receiving information by means of spoken word are both necessary to converse with internal and external customers including co-workers, citizens, and necessary to operate equipment safely and enforce safety regulations.
Visual Abilities – the ability to perceive via eyesight is required for this position:
- Acuity, far – clarity of vision at 20 feet or more. Must be able to see people at a distance in order to monitor their activities in order to ensure their safety around equipment. Both eyes 20/25 – R 20/30 – L 20/30 corrected
- Acuity, near – clarity of vision at 20 inches or less. Must be able to see equipment and work aids at close range in order to operate them properly. Both eyes 20/25 corrected
- Depth perception – Three-dimensional vision and the ability to judge distance and space relationships so as to see objects where and as they actually are. Necessary in order to properly operate equipment and monitor activities for regulation and safety. Depth perception – 4
- Field of Vision – the area that can be seen up and down or to the right or left while eyes are focused on one point. Must be able to see a wide span of area to cover grounds and observe people and their activities in order to enforce rules and regulations.
- Accommodation – Must be able to adjust the eye lens to glance quickly. This item is especially important when doing near-point work at varying distances from eye. Must be able to adjust eye lens to focus readily when glancing from near work (equipment operation, observer near at hand, etc.) to distance work (people walking around in vicinity of equipment) to monitor activities and ensure safety at all areas.
Physical Strength – degree of physical demands typically associated with this position include:
- Medium to Heavy Work
- Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally; and/or
- Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently; and
- A negligible amount of force constantly to handle or move materials related to the position.
- Work requires walking, standing, reaching, climbing, squatting, bending, and stooping, although worker does sit on occasions.
- Reaching – Extending the hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Handling – Seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or otherwise working with hand(s).
- Fingering – Picking, pinching or otherwise working with fingers primarily rather than the entire hand or arm.
- Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to work tasks and practical situations and requests made by supervisor or members of the general public; to comprehend and respond to a variety of situations in an expedient manner. Good judgement is important because often the individual may be working in the absence of a supervisor.
- Using arithmetic and/or Statistics: Ability to apply fundamental concepts of arithmetic to arrive at accurate formulas for chemical and paint mixtures.
- The ability to speak, read and write the English Language are required for this position.
- The Park Attendant – Maintenance employee is subject to Outside Environmental Conditions: Exposed to the various weather conditions and temperatures. Combining the type of work performed with the various weather conditions, the worker should be one who can work outside in a hot or cold environment. The position is best suited for someone who doesn’t mind getting wet, dirty, and sweaty.
- The Park Attendant – Maintenance employee will be exposed to trash, garbage, grass, plants, and various chemicals, gas, oil, and debris. Work is subject to final standards of OSHA on bloodborne pathogens.
Machinery/Tools/Work Aids/Other Equipment
- Items which may be representative, but not all inclusive, of those commonly associated with this type of work: Push mowers, riding mowers, greens mower, weed-eaters, tractors, jack hammer, power hand tools, chainsaw, pruning saws and shears, dump truck, utility vehicle, hydraulic powered riding equipment, sand trap rakes, sprinklers, irrigation equipment, water hoses, buckets, backpack blowers, backpack pump sprayers, hedge trimmer, basic hand tools, and Personnel Resolution.
This job description may not be all-inclusive, as jobs evolve over time to meet the ever-changing needs of the City of High Point’s workforce. This job description is not intended to and does not create a contract or offer of employment to any individual. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the City of High Point. Candidates selected for employment must pass a background screening as well as a pre-employment physical to ensure medical clearance to perform the essential functions of the job prior to receiving a full offer of employment.
The City of High Point is an at-will employer and employees may be terminated or may terminate their employment at any time with or without reason for any reason not prohibited by law.
No Benefits associated with this position.
By completing these supplemental questions, you are attesting that the information you have provided is accurate. Any information you provide may be reviewed by the hiring manager. Any misstatements or falsification of information may eliminate you from consideration or may result in dismissal. “See resume” is not an acceptable answer to any question. Resumes may be uploaded as a supplement to the online application. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of application and/or the Work History section.
- Yes, I understand
- No, I do not agree
This position requires that you be at least 16 years of age. Are you at least 16 years of age?
This position requires that you have a valid NC Driver’s License. Do you have a valid NC Driver’s License?
- No, my license is with another state
- No, my license is expired
- No, I do not have a valid NC Driver’s License
This position requires a flexible schedule, including regular weekend and holiday work. Are you able to work this type of schedule?
This position requires that you complete regular janitorial/custodial tasks, including but not limited to: emptying trash, cleaning bathrooms, vacuuming common areas, sweeping, mopping, etc. Are you comfortable completing these types of tasks?
This position requires that you work in an outdoor setting. Are you comfortable working in an outdoor setting?
Select ALL of the boxes that describe your experience operating equipment:
- Experience operating a push mower
- Experience operating a riding mower
- Experience operating a weed-eater
- Experience operating a backpack blower
- Experience pruning saws and shears
- No experience operating any of the above equipment
Select the ONE box that BEST describes your knowledge of the game of golf:
- Play golf multiple times a year (2 or more) and have a thorough understanding of the rules.
- Play golf multiple times a year (2 or more) and have a general understanding of the rules.
- Have played golf before and have a general understanding of the rules
- Have played golf before but have little knowledge of the rules
- Do not play golf but have a general understanding of the rules.
- Do not play golf and have limited knowledge of the rules.