Michigan Public Health is looking for an Events and Communications Coordinator to join the school’s Marketing and Communications team. Reporting to the Director of Creative and Brand Experience, you will help enhance engagement with our audiences through many communications channels and event experiences.
Candidates for this position are effective communicators, creative, organized, and experienced working on projects both independently and collaboratively. We welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds who share our passion for developing innovative solutions.
This position requires working occasional nights or weekends. Night and weekend work requirements will occur approximately 3-5 times per year for event support.
Who We Are
The University of Michigan School of Public Health began its pursuit of a healthier world in 1941. Ranked among the top public health schools in the country, Michigan Public Health educates and trains more than 1,300 graduate and undergraduate students each year. Our interdisciplinary strength empowers us to develop solutions to complex health challenges. We pursue a healthier, more equitable world through education, research, and action. We aim to recruit staff members who demonstrate a commitment to contributing to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for all members of our community.
The Marketing and Communications team prioritizes creativity, collaboration, and communication. We support the School of Public Health through multiple external and internal communications, marketing, and event strategies. We pride ourselves on working together to produce high-quality marketing and communications strategies and experiences that highlight the school’s strengths and advance its priorities.
Why Work at Michigan?
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
Event Support, Communications, and Content
- In partnership with team members and key school partners, contribute to the strategic planning, management, and execution of Michigan Public Health signature events and programming including both in-person and virtual events.
- Staff Michigan Public Health events and provide guidance of team members, programming partners, and other volunteers.
- Coordinate with external vendors including caterers, audio/visual companies, florists, photographers, and others to ensure event execution.
- Manage event communications strategy and production, including website updates, promotional email execution, registration forms, and guest relations emails.
- Direct event content creation and distribution, including partnering with Marketing and Communications team members to develop news releases, articles, photography, video clips, and social media content to extend the impact of events to additional audiences.
Internal Communications and Culture
- Lead content development and distribution of weekly internal faculty and staff newsletters. Analyze newsletter metrics to make data-informed recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Direct the production of additional internal channels, including digital signage, branded building signage, and the schoolwide intranet, while ensuring an alignment with strategy.
- Develop original content for internal channels including news updates, employee spotlights, and culture campaigns.
- Manage a comprehensive internal communications calendar, and, in partnership with team members and internal partners, execute the strategy for communicating with and inspiring internal audiences through multiple channels.
- Act as a key contact for the schoolwide intranet, helping with content while looking for continuous improvement for the user experience.
Promotions and Collateral
- Manage inventory of marketing promotional items and printed collateral, including purchasing, vendor relations, and internal partner support.
- Coordinate the management of marketing and communication digital assets including photos, videos, and audio.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1-2 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Familiarity with email marketing platforms
- Proven ability to work efficiently and manage multiple projects and priorities at once, while working in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working with customers or clients.
- Demonstrated ability to work with others within a collaborative, team-based, and positive work environment.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Job Opening ID
Events and Communications Coordinator
Ann Arbor Campus
Ann Arbor, MI
School Pub Health
SPHDO-Marketing & Communicatio
Posting Begin/End Date
5/30/2023 – 6/13/2023
$44,413.00 – $54,863.00
Communications & Marketing