Salary: $16.00 – $22.00 Hourly
Location : Columbia, MD
Job Type: Contingent
Job Number: 9901-05162023
Department: Recreation & Parks
Opening Date: 05/16/2023
POSITION SUMMARY/CLASS DESCRIPTION
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Under the direction of the Center Manager or Assistant Manager this position is responsible for the overall coordination of the fitness room and aerobics studio at a Community Center operated by the Howard County Department of Recreation & Parks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Communicate clearly and courteously with patrons and staff.
- Coordinate and instruct fitness drop-in, incentive programs, special events, and promotional competitions.
- Consult and orient patrons with fitness equipment, center policies, and center services.
- Ability to lead safe and effective group exercise classes, administer group exercise programs and lead individual and group training sessions.
- Maintains cleanliness, order and smooth operation of the fitness room and aerobics studio.
- Performs routine daily maintenance tasks and inspection reports.
- Assists with fitness marketing efforts.
- Promote and support a safe, positive and healthy culture and environment.
- Assist with the selection, training, scheduling, supervision, and evaluation of contingent fitness staff.
- Coordinate scheduled and unscheduled maintenance of equipment with the Facility Coordinator and/or Facility Maintenance Worker.
- Maintain an active, working knowledge of fitness, health, and recreation programs including trends and customer needs.
- Ability to appropriately respond to emergency situations utilizing CPR and First Aid training and experience.
- Assists in the inventory and requisitioning of supplies and parts for the fitness room.
- Ensure center rules, safety standards, and sanitation requirements are followed.
- Document and report all accidents and incidents in the fitness room and aerobics studio.
- Wear Howard County name badge and uniform at all times.
- Ensure proper security of the facility and supplies at all times.
- Attend mandatory staff meeting and in-service trainings.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Possesses a nationally recognized certification or state license by an organization such as the National Strength and Conditioning Association, American Council on Exercise and/or American College of Sports Medicine.
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain a certification in Standard First Aid and CPR/AED.
- Has basic knowledge of public relations and Recreation and Parks.
- Possesses good organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work without supervision.
- Flexible, reliable, responsible, and enjoys working with the general public.
- Capable of lifting 50 pounds; occasionally lift or move up to 200 pounds.
- Is at least 21 years of age.
- Knows Microsoft Office Suite.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE
- Two to three years of relevant experience in a health and wellness setting or equivalent combination of education and job-related experience is preferred.
- Experience in teaching/instructing fitness classes and personal training sessions.
- Experience working with adults and teens.
EDUCATION: High school diploma; preferred college course work in health education, fitness/nutrition or public health.
RATE OF PAY: Contingent (Professional) $16.00-$22.00/hour
Salary commensurate with experience.
TO APPLY: You must complete an employment application online to be considered for this recruitment. Resumes cannot be substituted for completion of the job application work history. No paper applications will be accepted.
Selected candidates may be subject to drug screening, background screening, and reference checks.
At time of application, please submit a copy of any college degree, coursework, licenses, or certifications that you have referenced on your application. Applicants who have education obtained outside of the U.S. may need to provide proof of the equivalent U.S. education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service, such as the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (http://www.naces.org) or World Education Services: International Credential Evaluation (https://www.wes.org/).
Howard County Government is not sponsoring employees in application of the H-1B Visa or providing an extension of an existing H-1B Visa. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
Howard County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, and we are committed to a workplace that values diversity, equity, and inclusion. The County prohibits discrimination on the basis race, color, religion, age, sex, ancestry, creed, national origin, disability status, genetics, marital status, military service, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Applicants requiring accommodations during the hiring process should contact the Office of Human Resources directly at Requests for accommodations should not be attached to the application.
Employees in this category may not be eligible for all County benefits.
The supplemental questions are a very important first step in our screening process. Therefore, you are required to complete these questions so that we may initially determine your eligibility for this position. A lack of detail and explanation in the supplemental questions and in your application may result in failure or disqualification for this position. This means you will be ineligible for further consideration in this recruitment process.Please check “yes” to show that you have read and understand this statement.
Do you possess a nationally recognized certification or state license by an organization such as the National Strength and Conditioning Association, American Council on Exercise and/or American College of Sports Medicine? If so, please identify which certification or license you possess in the space below. Be advised that “See Resume” is not an adequate response.
Do you possess a certification in Standard First Aid and CPR/AED? If so, please identify which certification or license you possess in the space below. Be advised that “See Resume” is not an adequate response.
Do you possess two to three years of relevant experience in a health and wellness setting or equivalent combination of education and job related experience? If so, please explain where you acquired this experience include your employer, position title, dates of employment, and position responsibilities. Be advised that “See Resume” is not an adequate response.
Please describe any experience in teaching/instructing fitness classes and personal training sessions. If you do not possess any experience, please state N/A (Not Applicable) in the space below. Be advised that “See Resume” is not an adequate response.
Please describe any experience working with adults and teens. If you do not possess any experience, please state N/A (Not Applicable) in the space below. Be advised that “See Resume” is not an adequate response.
I understand I am responsible for maintaining the accuracy of my contact information, including my street address, my e-mail address, and my contact telephone numbers. My failure to maintain accurate contact information may result in my not receiving information regarding this job announcement and/or may result in my not being further considered for this employment opportunity. To update this information visit www.governmentjobs.com, click on the “career seekers” link, and follow the prompts.
I certify that the information submitted in this application is true and correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand that providing false, erroneous, and/or misleading information may result in elimination from the hiring process and termination of employment if hired.
- I have read and understand the language outlined above.